Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pausing for SERIOUS note

It seems like all fun and games until someone gets hurt.  In this case it was my heart! So, this story starts out pretty sweet...  You see, when I started here at PATH I was introduced to my co-worker Loann.  Loann works from her house in Beach so she doesn't come to the office that often.  She is one special lady!   She loves a good laugh and will do pretty much anything to get one. She is full of life, jokes, and most importantly (in this job) LOVE!  
So, to start this scene off right I need to do some background info. on this.   My first week here I was with my boss Joan.  We decided to have lunch with the whole office that day.  Joan and I drove separate to the restaurant, we were waiting in the lobby for everyone to arrive.  The host asked if we were with the nurse we said "no" and proceeded to sit and wait.  After like 15 minutes we get a call., they had already sat in the restaurant.  So, Joan and I go around the corner and all of them are in red velvet looking basketball like suits.  Not only did they have these awesome outfits but they all had Velcro shoes to match!  If you haven't figured it out yet....these guys were the "nurses."  So who was behind this great outfit.... LOANN! 

After working here for a month or so I get a package from Loann.  Inside was this amazing pink outfit. It basically looks like a button up, crinkled, silk pair of PJ's. How so very weird sweet of her!!  We had this meeting coming up where the whole Western Region was gathering for business.  I mean wouldn't this be a great opportunity to wear all our matching outfits and show up like a BOSS!  YEAH!! So instead of wearing our awesome pink outfits, I just happened to get this amazing offer from "Woman's Within."  40% off and it could be used on clearance items.  So what did we purchase with this coupon.....
This could be yours for the low low price of $11
Yup....isn't it a beauty!  And so flattering I might add. Like it literally brings out the color in our eyes, matches our skin tone and makes us look so huge skinny!  Don't ya think??  All I can think of right now, which it doesn't pertain to this, but could kind of... is from the movie  Home Alone..."Buzz your girlfriend...WOOF!"  Yeah we knew.....but it just made these that much better!  Plus I don't know if you can see but there are POCKETS!  So the plan of attack was to wear these to the meeting and see if people noticed we matched.  We put on different cardigans and dressed them up a bit.  
 So here is my outfit and reveal of the day...
H-O-T-T hot! I know! No need to tell me...
Well we get to the meeting bust in the doors and no one really notices. We got asked individually for a while what the occasion was for the dress, questions like that.  Then one person in the MIDDLE of the meeting FINALLY notices and says something.  Our boss was laughing so hard I am sure she was tearing up.  It's cuz they are so awkward I know!  Our plan worked, we had fun with it, the day goes on.  

So this is where life gets serious folks!
When we travel to Bismarck for meetings together we always stop at Target because we don't have one of those here...SAD FACE!!  Plus they have super good popcorn!  Target is attached to the mall in Bismarck.  My co-worker who is so adorably pregnant, needed some clothes so she asked to go to the maternity store quick, since we don't have maternity stores here in Dickinson (we don't have much here).  I told her I would go with her since I didn't have anything other than popcorn to buy at Target.  So, we head on our merry way down to the other side of the mall.  This mall is pretty big it would be like walking from Sears to Herbergers in the Fargo Mall.  So we have a good ways to make it to the other-side.  On our little walk we stopped and looked at some sales that were on the sidewalk sale that just happened to be going on.  As I am standing there waiting to start walking again this lady NO JOKE walks by me with the most disgusted look on her face staring at my dress...COMPLETE judgement and a look of you are an outcast...as she finished walking by she turned her head and put her nose in the air.
NOW I know we wore these as a joke and they looked ridiculous I am completely and utterly aware of this HOWEVER this does not make it okay for people to treat you that way.  I brushed it off and laughed it off to be honest and kept walking with Natalee to the store.  The looks continued, the points started to come out AND the facial expressions were out of control!  I was so uncomfortable.  We got into the maternity store and the sales lady laughed and was like I just LOVE your dresses and asked why we did it and etc. Total supporter of fun stuff!  After the store, we obviously had to walk back through the mall.  I waited for Natalee to use the rest room and have NEVER been more uncomfy in my own skin.  
The situation...it was kind of like I was walking around saying this...

But in all reality I just found it crazy how people can affect your mood and attitude so much...and with out a word spoken.  As we continued our walk, the looks and smirks were given the whole way back to the car. While driving home we all talked about what happened and how we felt.  I was just crushed....and then I started to think...some people dress like this or dress in a way that is different then the main stream fashion and who are we to judge anyone on how they want to dress or look. Yes, I know that I have passed judgement and have been that person on the other end.  I am not innocent but I think that with age and growth we start to see things in such a different way.  All I could think is what if this was all I could afford. Or what if this is something I made and was so proud of.  All of these thoughts were just racing through my head and I just was so SAD!  Because of that, I decided I was going to blog about it and just send some reminders to everyone reading:
* Don't judge...you have no right and you don't like to be judged either, so why do it to others
* If you are disgusted with something or don't agree etc.  don't have it written all over your face,  learn to control yourself in an adult manner.
* Everyone has feelings, careful when dealing with someone else's
* Appreciate people for who they are, not for what they have to offer or what they look like.
* Looks are, and NEVER will be the main reason to have any type of a relationship with someone...if they are you should maybe re-evaluate that relationship. 
* Remember you NEVER know what someone else is going through....BE POLITE 
* Treat others as you would like to be treated.
* and most importantly....LOVE, LOVE, and LOVE some more!  Everyone needs LOVE

This world needs more giving, more thoughtfulness, and tons of LOVE!  Be that person!

Now that I'm over the serious part, you all can poke fun at the dress and laugh about it. That was the point of the dresses in the first place.  It was just the purposeful rudeness and mad judgement that was the problem!  

I'll end this one with a quote from one of the funniest and most loving people 
"Be kind to one another" -Ellen DeGeneres 


So Much Love,
Nicky 







No comments:

Post a Comment